Is the CPU on your computer so hot so often? You could face performance issues, automatic reboots, etc. if you answer yes to those questions. Windows 10 CPU temperature should be regularly monitored to ensure the health of your computer.
If the CPU becomes overheated, not only will the performance of the computer be affected, but the lifespan of the computer will be diminished as well.
People tend to find the process of checking CPU temperature confusing since it involves a number of steps. I am writing this post for those of you who are also among them. Here’s how to check the CPU temperature on a Windows 10 computer.
If you have a device running Windows, you can check its CPU temperature easily. It is not possible to check the CPU temperature as a built-in feature in Windows 10.
You can easily get CPU info, including the temperature, from a number of other software applications.
What is Bad Temperature?
Ideally, we should know what is a bad temperature and what is a good temperature before going forward. The limit of the temperature varies from CPU to CPU. So if you want to know what your CPU’s temperature limit is, then you have the search for your specific CPU on the web.
If you see the temperature listed as “Maximum Operating Temperature” or “T Case”, this is what your CPU’s temperature should be. If the temperature is listed as “T Junction”, it means you should keep the CPU temperature 30°C lower than what written there. For example, if you see 100°C written next to the T Junction, it means you should strive to maintain your CPU temperature at around 70°C.
Then we will talk about the possible ways to verify CPU temperature now that we know what a bad and good temperature is. On Windows 10, there is no inbuilt way to check the CPU temperature.
In order to monitor the CPU temperature, you have to use third-party programs. Here are some of the best third-party programs for checking CPU temperature that we have gathered. Browse through them now.
Monitor Your CPU and GPU temperature
Always monitor your CPU and GPU temperature using one of the following methods to make your system run smoothly.
In addition to monitoring the CPU temperature, HWMonitor lets you check the temperatures of the hard drive, graphic card, and motherboard. You can check the CPU temperature in Windows 10 by following the following steps.
1. On your Windows 10 computer, you will need to download HWMonitor. Please click here for more information.
2. To install the software, simply follow the instructions on the screen. The temperature table will look similar to the one shown below after successful installation.
3. To check the CPU temp, scroll down to find the related temperature section.
2. MSI Afterburner
MSI Afterburner is another great tool to check CPU temperature on Windows. High-end gamers will find this tool useful. Furthermore, this tool displays GPU temperature, along with other useful data such as CPU speed and power of the computer.
The first thing you need is the MSI Afterburner. Click here to do so. When the installation is complete, you will be presented with the graphic displaying the temperature of the CPU and GPU, as well as other important information.
3. Core Temp
You can keep an eye on the CPU temperature, or processor temperature, with the help of Core Temp. Including the ideal temperature and all the necessary information, it will give you an overview.
Core Temp’s icon will appear under the system tray once you have downloaded and installed it. You can enable it manually if it’s not enabled by default. Click on “Options” and then “Settings” to do so.
Mark the checkbox before “Enable Windows 7 taskbar feature” in the “Windows Taskbar” tab. Click the “Ok” button when you’ve selected the “Temperature” box.
As another application that monitors your CPU and GPU temperatures, NZXT CAM will also notify you when your temperatures get too high. When you need to turn them down, NZXT Cam also sends you an automated message.
As with MSI Afterburner and RivaTuner, NZXT Cam lets you monitor your FPS, temperature, bandwidth, and much more. If you have installed your system and GPU overclocking, NZXT Cam also lets you control the RGB lighting.
There is no charge for NZXT Cam. There will, however, be many emails and pop-ups advertising in the future. With NZXT Cam, you can also check your CPU and GPU temperatures remotely from your mobile device. Remote computer control will also be possible with the app.
CUPID HWMonitor is the best application for monitoring CPU and GPU temperatures.
HWMonitor displays all the sensor data from the motherboard, including temperatures, voltage, fan speed, power supply, hardware utilization, clock speed, and fan speed.
With HWMonitor, you will be able to look at your network and manage your devices without taking up a great deal of space on your machine. Sensors come in three different value ranges in HWMonitor: maximum value, minimum value, and current value.CUPID HWMonitor is useful for monitoring your hardware and overclocking or undervolting your system.
Best CPU Temperature Monitor
- SolarWinds CPU Load Monitor
- Open Hardware Monitor
- Core Temp
- Paessler CPU Monitoring with PRTG
- AIDA64 Extreme
If you are only interested in CPU Temperature, I recommend using Open Hardware Monitor.
To discover performance issues, I suggest you use HWiNFO, as it provides detailed information on CPUs, GPUs, drivers, mainboards, and more.
How much is High temperature and Low temperature on the CPU?
A normal temperature range is defined as 40°C and 65°C (104°F to 149°F) in normal use. If you’re playing games and editing, you expect to reach 65 to 80.
Your cooling system and external environment could affect how high the temperature goes. The main point you should note is, the CPU is made from silicon, which means it should be kept within a limit of 85 degrees.
If you go above this limit, the CPU might be seriously damaged.
How to Lower CPU and GPU Temperatures
The following tips will help reduce CPU and GPU temperatures.
- It is important to maintain a good ventilation system. Desktop and laptop computers are both affected by this. By installing cooling fans inside your computer, you can improve airflow
- Utilize a cooling pad if your laptop is in need of extra cooling.
- Clean your computer once in a while as dust buildup causes your cooling fans or vents to clog, preventing them from working properly.
- In a laptop with clogged vents, the fan will not run efficiently.
- It is important to manage cables. So tidy your internals with cable ties to allow air to circulate more efficiently.
- It is common for thermal paste to degrade with age. The transfer of heat from the processor to your heat source just isn’t better when using a dry thermal paste. You must remove the old thermal paste from your heatsink and clean it thoroughly before reapplying for the new paste.
- It’s best to use your CPU and GPU in a well-ventilated area, as external temperatures can affect their temperatures. Changing your system location can also lower your temperature if it is too high.
- The fan speed in your computer system should be increased to increase airflow.
- Your computer has another two fans for exhausting hot air in addition to the fan that draws air in. By means of these two fans, you can circulate cool air within your computer system. Increasing the fan speed might help you cool the system more effectively.
- Try adjusting your processor’s maximum power load from your control panel.
- Restore your system’s BIOS settings if your system is overclocked.
- Make your computer less powerful by undervolting it. In contrast to overvolting, it will not adversely affect your processor. Undervolting can reduce the heat produced by your GPU or CPU if it is overheating.
- In addition, a good PC case can help prevent overheating of the CPU or GPU. Improve your PC’s airflow by upgrading the case.
- If you prefer liquid metal thermal paste, you should try that since it’s better than regular thermal paste. This will reduce the temperature of your CPU or GPU by at least 10 degrees Celsius. The liquid metal thermal paste does not require reapplication.
- Consider installing a water cooling system if nothing else works for you. You will definitely reduce the heat generated by your CPU and GPU with a liquid cooling system. You can cool your system more efficiently with a water cooling kit than with the best heat sink cooler.
Every once in a while, I recommend that you monitor GPU and CPU temperature. Our computers are based on CPUs and GPUs. Consequently, working at a safe temperature is crucial.
In an effort to save energy, it is recommended that you do not use your computer at temperatures above recommended.
You can monitor CPU and GPU temperature in Windows 10 thanks to a variety of monitoring options. Your system will run smoothly if you follow these steps.
Maintaining your system’s health can ensure its efficiency by monitoring the temperature all the time.
Your CPU should be monitored very carefully if your work is computer-dependent. Over time, you will start to notice your performance degrading if you ignore overheating. It is also important to keep the CPU temperature low, because it has a direct effect on the lifespan of the CPU.
Thanks for reading our post on the best way to check CPU temperature in Windows 10 today.